Thursday, November 18, 2010

Islanders Lose 11 Straight

My favorite hockey team is the NY Islanders.  Too bad they SUCK right now.  As of last night, we've now lost 11 straight games.  We got one OT loss point in this downward spiral, but the rest were all regulation losses.  It's totally bullshit.

On Tuesday, the team fired the head coach, Scott Gordon.  (That was after we'd dropped 10 straight games.)  I was not only shocked by this drastic move, but even more so by who the team named as the interim coach.  They called up Jack Capuano, who was the head coach of the Islander's minor league affiliate team, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.

Now, if you didn't know, Scott Gordon had also been a minor league coach before he was named head coach of the Isles a couple years ago.  Obviously things weren't working out with him, so I can understand that they reassigned Gordon to a desk job.  But how is it any better to name yet ANOTHER minor league coach as the replacement?  Even on a temporary basis, it makes no sense to me.

I felt this was evidenced last night.  We still lost.  My team ALWAYS plays with heart and effort, and last night was no different.  But that's not any different from when Gordon was coach - they put in the same effort for him, too.  I didn't really see any real differences between how the team played for Gordon and how they played for Capuano.  Obviously, they are still playing the same 'system'...  but the reason they got rid of Gordon was to get a "new voice" in the locker room.

Call me impatient, but after one game, I didn't see any impact that this new voice might have made.

I also didn't really understand why Capuano didn't put Rick DiPietro in goal.  Sure, Roloson has been playing all right the past few games, but he hasn't been stellar.  Maybe if he'd only given up 1 or 2 goals for the past 4 games, I'd be more understanding.  But he gave up 4 goals in the game before this most recent one.  I thought Rick deserved a chance in net, even if he hasn't been playing that amazingly so far this season.

I think they should have at least considered trying the goalie change before deciding to make a coaching change.

No comments:

Post a Comment